WHINING WHEN DRIVEN, GETS LOUDER AS YOU SPEED UP OR TURN LEFT

2000 GMC Safari • 17,500 miles

The front passenger side tire area whines when I get over 20 mph and stops when I press the brake. The noise gets louder when you turn left. It was in an accident about 2 years ago and needed a front end alignment, which I did but it just never felt the same. I have been told that it can be the wheel hub or the bearings needed to be repacked. Any suggestions? Thank you for any help.
Dawnmarie9677

Sounds like the axle bearing are fasiling.

Can I fix it or do I need to take it to a mechanic? And is that the part I will need if I fix it?

Dawnmarie9677
There are still a few possibilities;
Is the tire as old as the noise? It could be the source of the noise.

The alignment could have too much total toe which tend to cause irregular wear and tire noise. I can see this happening especially if it was an insurance comapany paying for the fix.

You can fix it yourself if it is unitized and bolted in. The only thing you might have to do if it is not is take it to a shop and have them press the bearing in and the ball joints. You can borrow these tools from Advance Auto or Auto Zone on a loaner basis.

Here is a walk through diagnosis for your situation. Just use the link below;

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/whirring-sound

Also take note if the noise changes with truck or engine speed by putting it into neuatral while moving and letting the RPMS drop.

If its 2 wheel drive the front bearings are very easy to change. Let me know if it is I can ex plane how to change them

Djcl