HOOD WON'T LATCH SHUT

2000 Ford Taurus • 155,000 miles

Hood won't stay latched. Tried WD40 like other websites suggested and that didn't work. Large tight spring is not broken as other sites suggested. While taking the assembly apart, I noticed a small spring that is 1-1/4" tall with a small hook on it (picture enclosed)sticking up from the body? Of the car. I noticed the hook on top was not hooked to anything but the closest thing was the cable. Two questions: 1) was this spring my initial problem? Because it wasn't attached to anything, was it not allowing another part to work properly and thus lock my hood? And 2) since it appears it was attached to the body of the car somehow, can it be replaced?

Jeff43614

It is probably the return spring for the release cable.

Rivermikerat
Doesn't answer either question. Anyone one else?

Jeff43614
These are parts of the hood latch. Youll need to replace the latch assy. Jeff

Cadieman
The little spring appears to be attached to the body of the car and not the latch assembly. It's a very thin spring that I can pull apart with my fingers. It is NOT the large heavy spring on the latch itself. I think the comment above from rivermikerat sounds correct. Were you able to view the picture of the return spring for the release cable? It really does appear that it was attached to the body of the car. I'm hoping not because the piecve it was mounted to was part of the front end of the car. I'm not doubting your knowledge but it's the difference between spending $30 and spending 99 cents.

Jeff43614
The only pictures visible are of the broken spring and clip. IS there a return spring presently on the release lever at the end of the latch release cable?

Rivermikerat
Mike: Let me take a picture tonight. That may help clear things up.

Jeff43614
Ok. I'll be here.

Rivermikerat
I'll try to download the picture from my phone tomorrow while at work and someone can help me. The only spring is the one that has alot of tension in it and it's encased in plastic. It's running horizontally as you look down.

Jeff43614
Ok. I downloaded the image you attached at first of the spring and clip and drew an arrow on it. If you look at where the arrow is pointed at, you'll see that this spring is broken. That may be your problem. Where was that clip attached?

Rivermikerat
This thread is so re****ulas. GO BUY A NEW LATCH AND INSTALL IT. This is no magor part. Im done ty for using 2carpros

Cadieman
Page 1 of 2