FORD TAURUS ALTERNATOR PROBLEM

2000 Ford Taurus

My alternator belt came of does you have a idea why my power steering pump has a link when I looked under my hood my power steering cap was off could that be why my belt came off I have a 2000 ford taurus.
Batkat1234

Yes that can be. If you got power steering fluid on the belt a new belt will have to be in order, As for the power steering cap being off, yes that will make a leak, which depends on how much fluid was in there.

Randico
Yes my power steering pump is gone out but I still put fluid in there to make it easy to turn but the fluids comes back up from the cap is it easy to put that alternator belt back on

Batkat1234
Is it possible that my alternator belt broke because its not on my car at all or could it had just came all the way off

Batkat1234
It could be either, it broke or came off.

What would make my alternator belt break off or come off

Batkat1234
It could have been worn and broke or the tensionier may have gotten weak and the belt came off.

What is a tensioner do I need one of them if my belt has came off or broke

Batkat1234
NOT ONLY COULD IT HAVE COME OFF BECAUSE OF A TENSIONER---IDLER PULLEYS CAN HAVE BAD BEARINGS----STUFF LIKE YOUR ALTERNATOR AND WATER PUMP CAN LOCK UP AND BURN OR THROW A BELT OFF

LOOK AT ALL OF THIS STUFF/ MOVE IT/ INSPECT IT BEFORE YOU STICK ANOTHER BELT ON

BELOW IS A PIC OF A TENSIONER'S PULLEY THAT LOCKED UP----THIS MAY NOT BE YOUR PROBLEM---MAYBE IT WILL MOTIVATE YOU TO SEARCH FOR A PROBLEM MORE THOUROUGHLY. LIKE THEY SAID ABOVE, THE OLE BELT MAY HAVE "JUST BROKE", NOTHING ELSE IS WRONG

KEEP US INFORMED AS YOU PROGRESS