FORD RANGER MECHANIC PROBLEM

2000 Ford Ranger • 250,000 miles

I have a 2000 Ranger XLT 4x4 with 250,000 miles. I took it to the shop to have the heads redone due to idle and driveability issues. First thing they did was to hook it up to a scanner (not the parts house generic) and it could not pull data from the factory side of the pcm. It only showed N/A for all the data streams. The mechanic took another computer (not for this model) and hooked it up. It displayed data as expected.

Is this a known issue with the Ford PCM's? Can I have the computer reflashed? Or do I have to replace the computer?
Dfornet

You can have the computer reflashed but if there is any internal fault with the hardware, it is not going to work.

I could not find anty TSB on such problems so I guess this is not a known problem.

Best thing would be to pick one up at a salvage yard. Most salvage yards will give a guarantee for 30 days at the part is good for a few more dollars. Good luck see you guys around

Cadieman