MY SOLENOID IS SQUEAKING A LOT!

2000 Ford Ranger • 99,000 miles

My mechanic said the squeaking that's driving me nuts is from the solenoid and that with the labor and parts it would be around $150. But that it isn't important to get fixed right now. What does a solenoid do, why would it squeak and should I get it replaced?
any help is greatly appreciated!
Jazzangel57

What solenoid? Does not make any sense.

Ok - maybe just symptoms - when the truck is idleing there's a squeaking noise coming from the engine area - I was told it was the solenoid and not important and all Ford Rangers do this when they get older. No noise when moving (other than the typical old truck body noise) and the noise isn't there if I've been driving for a while - I've had the serpentine belt replaced, the alternator checked, the battery replaced along with the radiator and intake gaskets. Any suggestions on what it could be?

Jazzangel57
Manual or auto? Does the noise go when clutch in (if manual)

Mhpautos
Could be a serpentine belt tensioner. If it does not keep the correct tension, it will squeal. Other wise, it could be anyone of the rotating items run by the belt.
Get another opinion before doing anything.
I have a ranger with 160k and it has never had that noise.