THE AUTO TRANS ON MY ZTS REQUIRED A REBUILD AT 95K MILES AFTER HAVING THE TRANS "FLUSHED" AT A LOCAL SERVICE CENTER. A LOCAL INDEPENDENT TRANS SHOP DID THE REBUILD IN DEC 2010. FROM THE TIME THE CAR WAS RETRIEVED UNTIL NOW (FEB 2012) WE HAVE

2000 Ford Focus • 96,000 miles

The auto trans on my 2000 Focus ZTS required a rebuild at 95K miles after having the trans "flushed" at a local service center. A local independent trans shop did the rebuild in Dec 2010. From the time the car was retrieved until now (Feb 2012) we have driven the car less than 2000 miles. Upon starting the car, there is an extreme vibration that DID NOT exist prior to the trans rebuild. The vibration and "whine" lessens after the vehicle has been operated for 20-30 minutes but it still feels as though the car is laboring to operate the rebuilt transmission. Do rebuilt transmissions require a break in period to begin operating smoothly? Any suggestions re the issue or how to explain it to the shop? Can I provide any additional info to assist in your virtual diagnosis?
Miker843

Well don't expect much from the trans shop. Most only warranty thetrans for one year or 12,000miles. However go back and let him see what the deal is with it. He may or may not offer some type of thing to fix it. It sounds like maybe two clutch paks or the torque converter is messing up. And there is no breakin period for a transmission.

I strongly believe it wasn't rebuilt properly-bring it back and have them check it out-How's the transmission fluid level and condition?

Thanks Guys. Warranty (?) Is 24 mo so I will definitely be going back just needed your advice re what to say. Fluid level is between the marks and does not smell/look burnt. Do you think this would register any error codes?

Miker843
It might but normally your check enginelight is on.I have to aggree with ras on this one though. If it's under warranty it shouldbbe fixed no charge.