FORD F-150 BATTERY PROBLEM

2000 Ford F-150 • 95,000 miles

So my battery was getting tired for a while, 6 months I limped on it. Replaced it about two weeks ago. Everything has been fine. Today left work, drove about ten miles and stopped at the hardware store. I was in there for five minutes. Jumped in the truck and it clicked. Then the relay #2 started clicking and wouldn't stop until I disconnected the battery. No lights, no radio, no dinging, nothing. The gauges a stuck at the pegged position. Any thoughts folks?
Johnmcelroy

Have ALT output tested

Docfixit
No, its stuck at the hardware store as we speak.

Johnmcelroy
Had tons of starting power when I left work. Can a battery die on a ten mile drive if the alt. Quit?

Johnmcelroy
If its a diesel engine, check your heater relay output. It could be continuosly supplying the heater plugs, thus draining the accumulator to vertual emptiness

Auto lovemore
Not a diesel, but thank you anyway. Got it home by jumping it. Somehow? The anti theft is the problem I believe. I only have one key so I'm getting another one today. Try to program them. I did jump it again at home and the truck killed itself (sounded like a kill switch was activated). I have the dash all apart, switched around some relays, checked fuses and connections, all looks fine. We'll see what the keys can do. Thanks again!

Johnmcelroy
What happened?

Docfixit
They can't make me a key without the truck being there. So they want me to tow it to the dealer so they can plug it into a machine that gets the code info to program the key. 200 bucks, hundred plus just for the key. So I left, I'm going to call Ford headquarter today.

Johnmcelroy
They are able to make key from VIN and proof of ownership smell a rip off

Docfixit