BACK HATCH WONT OPEN

2000 Ford Explorer

2000 Ford Explorer 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

The lever on the back hatch is broken. I cannot open the back at all. The window button stills works and can acess the back, but hatch won't open. The lever has no resistance, meaning if pull on it, it just moves back and forth. I cannot access my spare tire, because in the panel enclosed in the hatch is another lever to lower my spare tire. Please help
Aljesonbacolod

Either the linkage came off, or where it mounts to the handle broke. You need to get in the back of the vehicle (inside) and remove the pannel so you can gain access to the handle and determine what happened. THere are screws that need removed and plastic clips between the panel and the door.

Let me know what you find.

Cannot fully remove the rear panel. I can look inside and see that the yellow clip attach to the handle is broken. How can I open the hatch even though I cannot take off the panel?

Aljesonbacolod