DODGE RAM THERMOSTAT PROBLEM

2000 Dodge Ram • 120,000 miles

Hi,

I have replaced my water pump and have it completely installed, I have filled the overflow tank and radiator with antifreeze and have even poured some down the tube that goes to the thermostat. However when I start the truck the pump does not seem to be catching a prime. I assume that the antifreeze I poured down the tube to the thermostat is not even entering the pump due to the thermostat being closed because the engine is not warm. How do I get the pump to catch a prime?

Don't know which engine you have, but if you can remove the upper hose and see the thermostat, you can poke the center plate to bleed the air pocket out. I never heard of a water pump not priming. It fills with coolant automatically when you fill the system. It's air pockets that prevent the coolant from circulating. Look for a temperature sensor near the thermostat housing. You can unscrew that, then fill the radiator some more. You must get the coolant up to the thermostat for it to open. They do not open in response to being hit by hot air.