1500 4X4 5.9L, THE PROBLEM IS THAT IT WONT START, IT WAS RUNNING "FINE" I GOT GAS AT A STATION I NORMALLY DONT BUT THE PRICE WAS RIGHT, EVER SINCE THEN IT HAS BACKFIRED SEVERAL TIMES, TONIGHT I WAS SITTING AT A TRAIN STOP AND WHEN THE GATES

2000 Dodge Ram • 133,000 miles

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9l, the problem is that it wont start, it was running "fine" I got gas at a station I normally dont but the price was right, ever since then it has backfired several times, tonight I was sitting at a train stop and when the gates lifted I took off normal and it started sputtering and backfiring about half way over the tracks, then it died and wont start again. At first it sounded like it was going to start and then, after I pushed it off the road more, it doesnt even try to start. Im thinking maybe distributor but im not sure how to check for spark and all that, I dont know much about cars but I am mechanically inclined.
Zcrashz

2 possibilities in mind, one would be the distributor cap has carbon tracks, from your description of the backfire.

The other is a fuel pump failure. You need a pressure gauge to verify that.

Well I think I will check the spark in the morning and see if it is getting any, if not I will assume the distributor is bad. I can hear the fuel pump coming on and I pressed the pin in the connection on the fuel rail and it sprayed out. Dont know if that means anything im assuming it has to be a certain pressure coming out.

Zcrashz
You are correct. Just a spray is not good enough.

Pull the wire off the coil tower and crank the motor. You should hear a snapping noise from the spark going down the side of the coil.

Ok so I took it to a guy and he hooked it up to his computer scanner, he says it said the main computer (ECM/ECU?) Is bad, does that sound right or possible, btw I pulled the wire from the coil tower to the distributor and got spark, so I put that back and pulled 3 plug wires and got no spark, pulled the wire off the coil side and got nothing.

Zcrashz