WILL A NEW PCM CAUSE HARD STARTS FOR THE FIRST 200 MILES?

2000 Dodge Intrepid • 202,580 miles

I replaced the PCM and the car started 4 times normally and them It started starting hard cranking for 40-50 seconds before it would start! Then after about 200-300 miles its starting fine now! Is this normal or is this a problem that will return?
Firemnted

Did you have it re flashed?

I got it from ALL COMPUTER RESOURCES and it came pre flashed!

Firemnted
I would have it re done at the dealer. Some off vehicle flashes do not take.

It has to relearn "minimum throttle" before it will know when to be in control of idle speed. Until that happens you have to hold the gas pedal down 1/4" for it to start and stay running, especially when you pull up to a stop sign. You also won't get the nice "idle flare-up" until that relearn takes place. To meet the conditions needed for the relearn to take place, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the pedals.

Why did you replace the computer? They cause very little trouble.

The PCM was replaced because I had a cylinder 3 open circuit and it was dumping raw fuel in to the exhaust. I found the wires to injector 3 were pinched together so I cut that out and soldered new in and the noid light came one with the key for 5 seconds and stayed on solid while cranking. No other injectors did this so I replaced the compute after the harness was unplugged from it and the harness was metered out!

Firemnted
Ok now I Replaced the resonator this last weekend and now its back to starting hard! It does have an exhaust leak behind both cats. In the flex pipe! Could this cause the problem! Also I changed the valve cover gaskets when I replaced the injector and the computer!

Firemnted