I HAVE A 2.7L THAT WILL NOT START. IT TURNS OVER GOOD IT JUST WILL NOT FIRE/ START. I REPLACED THE PLUGS AND THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR. THERE IS 12 VOLTS TO THE PLUG COILS AND THEY DO HAVE SPARK(THOUGH IT SEEMS WEAK TO ME) I C

2000 Dodge Intrepid • 225,000 miles

Car was originally stalling out while driving but would restart then finally it did not start at all.
Lonnie1168

Hi check the fuel pressure. Do you have spark?

Billymac
Have you scanned the car?I have put many cam sensors in and they are famous for timing chain jumping due to tensioner problems, like lack of oil changes

Rebuilder9
I took the fuel line apart and turned the key and the fuel pump engaged and pumped fuel. As for the spark I put a plug up against the exhaust and turned the car over. I had spark but as mentioned it seemed weak compared to other times I had done this.

Lonnie1168
Do not have anything to scan the car with. Is there any other way to check?

Lonnie1168
Crank car over watch tachometor if tach is moving you then have ref signal.

Billymac
What do you mean by ref signal? If I have it or do not what is my next step? Thanks

Lonnie1168
Well a ref signal is a 5 volt signal is what is sent from the crank sensor to the ecm this will cause the tach to read rpms. So if your rpm guage moves when eng is cranked then crank sensor is not the prob.

So if you have tach. Next step is scan for codes. Ypu say you have no way to scan. Turn ignition switch off and on three times. Count the flashes of the check engine light. If this vehicle has the capability this will retrieve codes.

So according to your diag the problem seems to be weak spark. This would indicate a weak ignition coil.

Billymac