WHY HAS MY POWER STEERING GONE?

2000 Citroen Saxo • 104,000 miles

My power steering has gone but if I bang a black box under the engine it starts working again untill I turn the car off then on. It has once before started working on its own but then stopped working. The steering fluid is full. Would really love to know what it is before I take it to a mechanics so I dont get ripped off! Thankyou : )
Leatherlands

Black box? Can you post a picture?

When the black bit is hit.

Leatherlands
That is a motorised pump and seems it is failing.

Thankyou, do you no how it can be fixed, could I do it myself or will it have to be a mechanic?

Leatherlands
We don't have any information on the repair procedures and I am not sure if you are able to handle it.

When such pumps goes bad, you need to have it replaced as replacment parts for repairs might not be available.

The job should be about disconnecting wireharness, hoses and taking the assy out. Reverse procedures for installation. Top-up fluids, start engine and turn the steering a from end to end a few times and top-up fluid sgain if necessary.

Ok thankyou very much, atleast I know the problem before going to a mechanic thanku again

Leatherlands
You're welcome.