WHY ISN'T ALTERNATOR CHARGING BATTERY AS SOON AS I START THE TRUCK?

2000 Chevrolet Silverado • 167,070 miles

I have a brand new battery and a brand new 145 amp alternator. When I start my truck the volt gauge is at 12 volts. After 10 to 15 minutes of driving it is down to 11 volts. Then a few minutes later the voltage gauge will go up to 14 volts and remain there as long as I am driving. I have to go thru this routine almost everytime I start my truck.
Mitchf

I would be thinking a bad electrical conection have you tested the alt output directly off the alt with a multi meter or just relying on a voltmeter in the car?

Mhpautos
I haven't checked the alt output directly yet, I've just been going off the voltmeter. Exactly where should I check it it at and at what setting should I have my meter on? Thanks for responding, Mitchf, much appreciated!

Mitchf
Check at the main terminal large (bolt on) you will want a multi meter with a 20V scale or a bit higher will be ok, let me know what the voltage is there, at idle and at 1200rpm's

Mhpautos