CHEVROLET BLAZER NOISE PROBLEM

2000 Chevrolet Blazer • 185,000 miles

I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer that has been in the shop at least 5 times now. The problem is that periodically it starts making a very loud siren, helicopter type noise which gets louder at speeds below 50 mph. The auto tech people say they cannot determine what it is unless they can hear the noise, etc. So of course after I get it to the shop it doesn't do it. It sounds like it's coming from the front right side. They have checked the wheel bearings/hub and say that they are not bad. Most recently they replaced the radiator fan clutch assembly because I thought that might be the problem. But the noise is back and louder then before, so that was obviously not the problem. I have had new tires put on just recently and it drove fine for about a week, no noises, etc. Then suddenly out of the blue, they are back again and seem to be lasting longer than before.

It seems to be worse when slowing down at speeds of between 25 mph and 40 mph. And there is just a slight vibration in the steering wheel, but not that bad. I am about to lose my mind trying to figure out what this could be. I'm afraid to drive it because I think it may be causing more damage to whatever is going bad. It is really discouraging because I am having to research what the problem could be, when it seems that should be the auto shop's job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kim
Khaller

It's a tough one no matter how you look at it since its a noise and it doesn't happen all the time which uneven harder to find. When I worked at the Saturn dealer and they would have me drive the cars home to allow me to spend more time looking at it.I once drove a car home for two weeks to find a random dieing and no start. So when it makes this noise if you put it in neutral and coast will the noise go away? Also turning left or right comes the noise go away?

I haven't tried putting in neutral, but will do that and let you know. Thanks for the reply!

Khaller
What about turning left or right?Does the noise change?

FOLLOWING QUESTION

Just tried putting it in neutral and the noise does not go away. However, I did try putting it in 4 WD High and the noise does go away or is at least not as loud. Then I switched it back to the normal 2 High and it comes back again. I did this a few times and finally after switching back to 2 High the noise disappeared completely. So now I'm thinking that it is possibly switching into 4 WD while I'm in 2 WD? Is this something that can be fixed? Thanks!

Khaller
ARE YOU ALLOWED TO DRIVE THAT RIG IN 4X4 ON IMPROVED SURFACES

. AS PER OWNER'S MANUAL?

HAVE YOU BEEN DOING IT?

Do you guys think it could deal with the fan clutch? The helicopter sound could be coming from there.

I very rarely put it in 4 WD, unless we have a big snow. So, no I am not switching it back and forth at all. Just decided to try it as it was a suggestion by another Chevy Blazer owner that was having the same issue. But I did have it in 4 WD High last week to get out of a snow drift. And the noise did start up again after that, so I'm pretty sure it is somehow related. Prior to that though, it had not been in 4WD for a very long time, and the noise would randomly occur. The fan clutch was replaced about a month ago when I suggested that it might be the problem. They did say it was bad and that it was probably the cause of the problem. But I guess not, because the noise is back again. This noise just occurs randomly; I can drive it for a few days to a week or more and it's fine, then it suddenly comes back again.

Khaller
I'D CHECK THE JUICE LEVELS IN ALL OF THE DRIVE TRAIN COMPONENTS

MAYBE YOU NEED A GOOD LUBING????

THAT IS ---- MAKE SURE IT'S FULL AND DRIVE IT TO STIR IT ALL UP!....SEE MY LINK

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1992-jeep-wrangler-get-out-wheel-drive

I HOPE NUTHINS BROKE!

LUBRICATING IS YOUR FIX!

KEEP US POSTED

Does the noise sound like its coming from the back of the blazer?