- BAD AXEL/BEARINGS TWICE - POTHOLES IN NYC?

2000 Cadillac STS • V8 2WD Automatic • 40,000 miles

I drive a 2000 Caddilac STS which I inherited from my grandfather.

I have new tires on the car, Kumho, Sears installed. Wheels and rest of car original, and low mileage - only about 40K.

Don't drive it much, 2-3K per year, but on bad NYC roads.

I now have twice had to replace on the left front tire the bearings and axel, as well as both rotors and brake pads.

First time included a bad tie rod being replaced, six months later, crunching sound, bad axel, had that replaced, one year later, Service Stability System light and ABS/Traction lights are on, and bring it in, again, replace bearings, axel, rotors, pads.

The shop claims it's from potholes, or hitting a sidewalk curb, which I can't recall doing either, but the car does ride on pretty rough pavement a lot of the time.

Is this something that can be caused from driving on rough pavement?

Is it crazy to get the exact same repair needed on the exact same wheel, in a 2 year period when I"ve driving only about 3K miles in total on it?

Is there a type of car better for bad NYC roads? Like a small SUV, maybe an Audi Q5 or an Acura MDX? Toyota RAV4?

Jfish1000

Rough roads put a lot of stress/wear on ball joints, sockets, bushings, vertical/lateral movements on suspension components to get off track-If its me I'll go for the RAV4

So are you saying you are not surprised to get this type of repair required if driven on a lot of rough roads? How about twice in 2 years with low mileage driven? Is it really just one bad bump?

Jfish1000
Dunno exactly the condition of the roads you're traveling to and from. My suggestion is have the wheel alignment/suspension checked-

I'm sure the repair shop did that as part of the job both times. You can't replace wheel bearings and hubs without checking alignment and suspension right?

Jfish1000
Bad tie rod being replaced, six months later, crunching sound, bad axel, When replace the wheel alignment has to be checked