AIRBAG LIGHT STAYS ON

2000 BMW Z3 • 150,000 miles

I recently purchased a 2000 BMW z3 2.8L, the airbag light stays on and the previous owner said that the diagnois code revealed that the DMTL pump was the issue, could this be creating the problem? If so is this going to affect my airbags deploying? Will the inexpensive code readers work for the average car owner to do self tests & can you recommend what to purchase? Thanks Michael
MichaelB

The DMTL or DHTML pumps are emissions parts related to the EVAP Sytem and the Secondary air pumps. So, it won't have an affect on the air bags.
You can go to any Auto Zone or Advance Auto and they will read the trouble codes for free with a good diagnostic reader. You can get a decent reader for a little over $100. You will have to translate the codes yourself, but we can do that for you if you can't find the code translation chart.