WON'T SHIFT INTO REVERSE OR 5TH. NO POWER IN 1ST. BROKEN PLASTIC THING IN ENGINE.

1999 Volkswagen Jetta • 140,000 miles

When I pput the car into reverse, it goes forward. When I put it into 1st, it stalls out because I can't get enough power. RPM stays at around 10. So, I quickly shift into 2nd and push the gas pedal all the way down and hold it there for about 15 seconds and the car's RPM will finally go above 10. Then I am able to shift into 3rd as usual and 4th as usual. When I try to shift into 5th gear. It is the same as Reverse. IT isn't there. It seems to be shifting into 3rd instead. I opened up the hood and looked around inside there. I don't know anything about cars. BUT below where the white plastic box with the yellow cap that says brake fluid on it, there are two bars with plastic on them. They each attach to metal bolts on another part. The plastic piece on the end of the metal bar thingies is broken on one of them. It is the piece that has the hole in it so it can be attached to that bolt. Does anyone know what these parts are called? Iattached a picture showing the plastic thing that is broken

FeliciaD

That is your shift cable that looks broken and you'll have the trouble you are talking about until it'sfixed.

Attached is a parts diagram. You have a broken "follower". The cable
should still be OK.

Part #1J0711256

*** Confirm with your VW Parts Dealer before you buy this part, that
this is actually what is broken ***

Thomas

Exovcds
Yes, thank you. I took it to the dealership and yes it is that plastic piece that attacheds to the cable. The cable is still fine. The part will be $45 +tx. (The guy is giving it to me at-cost). I am looking for instructions on HOW to change it out though because I cannot afford to pay the dealership service fee. Which will be $100 or more.

FeliciaD
Does anyone know the part number? Or the name of the part? Because the parts guy at the dealership didnt even know the name of the part, but he found the part number. He didnt give me the part number though.

FeliciaD
1J0-711-256 "Carrier"

FeliciaD
I thought I had provided the part number above. It was listed as
a follower in my info.

It only fits one way, so you should have no problems figuring out
how to install.

Sometimes you have to drill the old one out. Make sure to lube the
new one, so that it'll be easier to remove the next time.

Thomas

Exovcds
Sorry I was a bit confused. So. How do I take off the old one? How do I put the new one on? I cant find any directions online at all. It looks like it is connected to something inside the tube thingummy.

FeliciaD
Look at the exploded diagram above. Remove the nut (#48) from the
broken #50 piece, the part you are replacing.

Tap the old remaining piece of #50 out of the metal sleeve.

Clean the metal tube that #50 goes through.

Lube the new piece and slide it in place (attaches to #49 on either
side of the metal tube/casting).

Attach the nut to the new #50 piece and center the adjustment in
the slot before tightening the nut.

Thomas

Exovcds
Amazing what you can find with Google!

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/shifter-adjust-VW-Audi.htm

Thomas

Exovcds
Problem. The diagram you posted doesnt match what the image on the link you provided. The image of the Mk3 matches my car. But not the diagram. In the diagram you posted, #5 doesn't look the same as on my car. On my car, as well as in the image through that link, the top cable is attached between stuff on the part. Where-as on the diagram, it doesnt show anything holding the top cable to the part I'm replacing. I'm very confused and I'm terrified that I'll get stuff taken apart, and have to push my car 33 miles to the dealership because I have the wrong part, or it doesnt work or I'm unable to get it apart. It just doesnt make any sense.

FeliciaD
Page 1 of 3