VOLKSWAGEN GOLF ENGINE PROBLEM

1999 Volkswagen Golf • 106,500 miles

Hi there I have a vw golf mk4 1.6 8v one day I pulled off at the lights took the car upto abot 4500 rpm went the front wheels slipped on a drain cover I herd a loud bang and the engine sounded like I had removed the air filter (very loud) there was no smoke trail behind me, I pulled over to check and noticed the upper inlet manifold had been forced apart, the engine was idling erratically and making a popping sound which I think is a backfire into the inlet manifold, any ideas what could be the cause of this? Looking forward to your reply thanks

The 1.6 8V is not available here in North America. What type of fuel injection system does it use?

The timing belt possibly slipped causing the valve / piston timing to be out of sync.

Verify your crank / camshaft timing, replace the broken intake and see how she runs. If she still runs rough, do a compression / leakdown test.

Thomas

Exovcds