VOLKSWAGEN GOLF ENGINE PROBLEM

1999 Volkswagen Golf • 103,000 miles

Hi,
My golf runs fine when it's cold, but once the engine warms up (maybe 2 - 3 miles) the engine starts skipping, and acceleration becomes very poor, and almost like it's struggling to get fuel. At low revs the engine often stalls, and is very difficult to start again - the engine turns over, but just won't start. Also, if running at say 60 mph, suddenly it will lose revs for a split second and really jerk around. All very odd, as it runs perfectly when the engine is cold. All of the above problems only happen when the engine has warmed up.
My local garage has replaced the fuel pump, but it made no difference so am reluctant to take it back there - they clearly don't know what to do.

Help!
Jamesmflint

Scan for codes first then check engin e to battery ground and battery to body. This would be tough to diagnose by computer.

Sorry - a bit of a novice here. What do you mean "Scan for codes"?

Jamesmflint
You have to have a scanner to hook up to your computer to see what codes if any are popping up. Auto parts stores do this. This cold be a wiring or a sensor that is not making good connection as well.

Ah ok. Any reason something like this would only happen with a warm engine?

Jamesmflint
Yes on a cold engine you arerunning openloop and on a warm engine you are running closed loop. In other words the computer takes control of car once it reachs above 100degrees F engine temp

All fixed now. Turned out the crank shaft sensor needed replacing. All changed, and fixed, and running perfectly again.

Jamesmflint