WHAT DOES THE FLASHING CAR WITH KEY SYMBOL MEAN?

1999 Volkswagen Golf • 87,000 miles

Since yesterday my car has started to not start when I turn the key in the ingition. A flashing symbol of a car with a key in it appears and doesnt go away,

it takes around 6-7 times of turning the ignition and pushing the gas to get it to work.

Wondering what I need to do?

Neilolsson

Sounds like the anti theft is not letting it start. When it doesnt start does it crank and not start or no crank no start?

Hi and thank you for coming back to me, it does crank and then not start. And after about 6 times of this it eventually starts.

Neilolsson
Read the first half of this page to give you an idea of how the system works:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1388323

A scan tool can be used to communicate with the immobilizer to see
fault codes... if a fault is stored, then you can start with that.
If no fault is stored, then you need to check the individual components.

If you have a second key, try using it for a while to see if that
alone makes a difference.

Thomas

Exovcds
Thanks for the assit thomas.

Hi,

thanks alot for coming back to me appreciate it. I don't have a second key for the car, was only given one. I will ask my local garage if they can scan it for me to see if it will be fixed.

Thanks,

Neil

Neilolsson
Your welcome thats what were here for make sure they have a advanced scan tool that will read full function European cars anti theft etc. Please post what they find.