STOPS SUDDENLY AND STARTS ONLY AFTER WAITING FOR 15 MIN OR MORE

1999 Volkswagen Beetle

Hello, I have a 99 beetle that works fine when I first drive it in the morning but then suddenly it just decide to stop and not to start again anywhere at anytime. Last time, it just died in a drive thru. However, when I wait 15 to 30 min it starts again. I took it to the garage and he ran the tests on it, he's saying that it showes its a sensor and exhaust problem and want me to replace them both. I cant afford changing the exhaust now, plus I had the exhaust problem for years now but the car never use to do that. Do you think its possible that both problems are related? And what if I changed the sensor only?
Abbi

I wouldn't think exhaust could cause it. If it's supposedly a sensor we would have to know which code was indicated.

Fixitmr
The usual culprit in stalls and wait to starts is the crankshaft position sensor.

Fixitmr
That's the one he mentioned-the crankshaft sensor. Do you suggest the I only change that sensor?

Abbi

Fixitmr
If that sensor doesn't do it i'd get a power supply relay. I've never seen a crank sensor intermittantly fail.

Vwscott