SOUND AND VIBRATIONS

1999 Toyota Highlander • 15,000 miles

Hello, I have a 1999 Toyota Highlander. It is giving some droning sounds accompanied with vibrations at the rear end of the car. Where could this sound and vibrations be coming from?
Mikky0007

Noisy front wheel bearings are common. They sound like an airplane engine, and the sound can travel making it elusive to find. Also look for a broken or deteriorated rubber exhaust hanger that is letting a pipe rub against the body.

There is a tool you might be able to borrow or rent from an auto parts store that borrows them called the "Chassis Ear". It is a set of six microphones, a switch box, and headphones. You clip the microphones to suspect points, then drive around while listening with the headphones. You can move the microphones around to zero in on the source of the noise. Be aware that many mechanics have never seen or even heard of this tool. Suspension and alignment mechanics use it to find rattles, squeaks, and other noises.

Thanks for this quick response. I will try this out and let you have a feedback. The sound is more from the rear though and the vibrations also start from the rear side too.

Mikky0007