TOYOTA COROLLA STARTER PROBLEM

1999 Toyota Corolla • 20,500 miles

Sometimes when I turn the ignition key, the car does not start. When I retry it a few seconds later, it starts.

It sure would be helpful if you would list the symptom but since it's a Toyota and it's an intermittent problem, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you hear a single rather loud clunk under the hood each time you turn the ignition switch to "crank", the starter doesn't crank the engine, and if you release the switch and try it again multiple times, eventually it will crank. If that is right, the contacts are worn in the starter solenoid. Most people replace the entire starter because it is only going to get worse, but they can be repaired quite easily. Many hardware stores and farm supply stores have the kits for Chrysler products for around $12.00. It includes four contacts. You use the "battery" contact for any Chrysler or Toyota starter made by Nippensenso, and you use the one of the other three that matches what's in there now.

The kits come with the plunger / contact disc but you rarely need to replace them. There's two different length plungers for Chryslers. For the Toyota plunger you have to get that right from the dealer and pay about three times as much. If you don't need it, buy either Chrysler kit. The contacts are the same in all of them.