HOW CAN I FIX HEADLIGHTS THAT GO OUT AFTER THE CAR IS RUNNING FOR 10 SECONDS

1999 Toyota Corolla • 270,000 miles

I have a 99 Corrolla VE that has an electrical problem - the headlights, which normally are on all the time once the engine is going, turn on when I start the ignition, but go out after about 5-10 seconds. It's like a switch is being thrown. The lights don't turn on at all unless I get the engine running first - (I think they used to come on if I turned the electical stuff on with the ignition and then flipped the lights on). They always stay on about 5-10 seconds then switch off while the engine is running.

This problem was preceeded by the dash (odometer, etc) not completely lighting up. I've heard about a possible relay in the body control module (BCM), but don't know how to find the module or relay related to this problem. Any help is appreciated.
Mikegvw

Check and test the main daytime running relay and also the DRL relay in the engine room.

Thank you for the great info - from the schematic it looks like the Daytime Running Light Relay is accessed on the passenger side from underneath and behind the glove compartment? I did locate the DRL relay next to the radiator. Thanks again.

Mikegvw