BAD SMELL AT 65 MPH +

1999 Toyota Camry • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 80,000 miles

1999 Toyota Camry Mileage 80,000. When I drive at speeds 67+ mph, there is a really bad smell that comes from my car. My ex, who is a mechanic, said it was the catalytic converter, but said it wasn't a problem, and that it's expensive to replace etc. I like to drive fast, so I always smell that odor (like rotten eggs and burnt rubber), so I was wondering what I could do to fix this? If I have to replace the converter, how much should it cost? Or if there is something else that could be contributing to this smell that my ex over looked? Any insight would be appreciated.
2CarPros-Archives

The “rotten egg smell” that you mentioned is usually caused by fuel mixture in the engine that is too rich. The catalytic converter may be faulty but before you replace it the “too rich” fuel mixture needs to be corrected. As far as the cost, check around in your area at different muffler shops and compare prices

2CarPros-Archives
Bad smell went start

Eugenemoore