CAR NOT STARTING AFTER OIL CHANGE

1999 Saturn SL2 • 178,000 miles

1999 Saturn SL-2 manual
When the oil was being changed, the person changing my oil hit the starter with his wrench causing a spark to appear. After he was done changing the oil, my car would not start, it would try and turn over but it would not start. It is not the starter because it would try and turn over. We pushed it down a hill to try and jump start it, but that failed as well, we eventually got it to start by pumping the gas a bit and messing with it to start. When we tried to start it, smoke came out of the exhaust. I have never had any issue with my saturn until the oil was changed the other day. I believe the computer was reset. I have new spark plugs and wires, the water pump is brand new. It is not the battery because my lights and radio worked fine. Any ideas?
Tinydancer2011

So it will only start when you hold the gas pedal all the way to floor while cranking?Any codes in the computer?

That is correct, and it is waiting for the mechanic to check it out in the morning. I am going to ask him to do the computer test first. I do not have a computer code tool or else I would do that myself.

Tinydancer2011
I started it later that evening after the engine had a chance to cool down and it did start however, there was stuff coming out of the exhaust. I started it four times in a row just to make sure, with 5 minute intervals and each time it started and it idled around 500-700 rpms.

Tinydancer2011
The starter is pretty far from the oil filter or oil drain plug I cant belive he did that. As far as what happened the only thing I could have seen happen was a blown fuse. It sounds like a bad coolant temp sensor from the symptoms pretty common on those cars.I own a 1999 saturn SL2 and iam on my 4th coolant temp sensor. Also inspect the inside of the connector if the terminals are blue or green instead of silver it needs a new connector. Most people over look the coolant temp sensor for a crank no start or doing what your car is doing. They end up. Replacing everything spending alot of money for nothing.

So what should I tell the mechanic tomorrow when he looks at my car? I'm getting there right when the shop opens so I can see what he is doing.

Tinydancer2011
I am only cautious because I am not in my hometown and I normally work on my car with my friends' help who is a mechanic.

Tinydancer2011
To check the coolant temp sensor you would hook a scan tool monitor live engine data watch coolant temp on the cars computer. Then let the engine warm up use a infared temp gun measuring the coolant temp where the upper radiator hose goes on the head. The coolant temp should be within 10 degrees of what the computer reads. Let the coolant temp run up to where the fan comes on about 222 degrees. Also inspect the inside of the coolant temp sensor connector like I mentioned early.

The mechanic should know how to do this correct? Thank you so much for your help, I'll let you know tomorrow when they are looking at it. Thank you

Tinydancer2011
I sure hope he knows how to do that pretty simple. Keep me posted.

I'm still waiting for an exact answer but as of right now the mechanic thinks that out is the idle that needs to be relearned.

Tinydancer2011