WHY WOULD MY HORN GO OFF IF I HIT THE BRAKES OR GO OVER A BUMP IN THE ROAD?

1999 Porsche 996 • 80,000 miles

I have a 1999 Porsche 996 and when I hit the brakes or go over a big bump, the horn goes off. I tried to isolate the problem and found that if I hold the steering wheel airbag cover, the horn does not go off. Could the horn activator switch or the airbag bracket be broken? Please let me know what you think. Thank You
Jcmauro

The spring for the horn pad is weak and any vibrations can cause the horn to be activated.

Does that mean I should replace the spring?

Jcmauro
You can try but might need some modifications if you can't get any replacement parts.

I checked the repair manual and couldn't find a "spring" in the
Steering wheel assembly. Is the spring part of
another assembly inside the air bag unit? Can your
shop repair this? Please advise. Email me at
jcmauro@yahoo. Com with an idea as to cost.
Thanks.

Jcmauro
Sorry I do not have any information on this vehicle in our database. The springs could be helical coils or a spring plates depending on design and sre below the buttons or pads. To access them you would need to remove the SRS unit. Such components would not be listed in repair manuals.

How about a picture of the steering wheel?

Here is a photo if the steering wheel, thank you
very much.

Jcmauro
Yup, you would need to remove the SRS unit to get at the horn switch components.

Is the part available?

Jcmauro
You would need to check with the dealer as such are only dealer parts if available.

Thank you: -)

Jcmauro