BLOWN FUSE

1999 Pontiac Montana

I have a 1999 Pontiac Montana, and had to replace a blown Maxi fuse for the ignition, it started up after replacing it but upon starting agin it blows the fuse again. Why?
Sarahclaar79

I saw two ignition maxi fuses. What is the amp rating?

The maxi fuse has 40A on it and on the cover for the box under the hood.I have checked all other fuses that are in the door as well. Have also replaced the ignition relay since my first question, and it stared and ran one time after turning the vechile back off, no start again

Sarahclaar79
Are you saying that same fuse is blown again? I did look at ignition switch wiring. Looked at the feed from that maxi fuse, your talking about. The smaller circuits from the ignition switch, served by the maxi fuse, all are controled by smaller fuses. It should blow smaller fuse first. Unless the problem is before the smaller fuse. All the smaller fuses add up to close to 100 amps. You can check amp draw on smaller fuses. Like hunting a needle in a haystack. Any applicable codes?

Yes the same fuse is blowing everytime.I dont know what you mean by "codes".I have went back and check all the other fuses again and all look good. Even the one that was blowing before? So now I am back 2 square ONE! Ugh. Lol

Sarahclaar79
I was talking about trouble codes. To access those, at the least, you need an obd 2 code reader. It plugs into your datalink connector.

I'd have to check amp draw at the ignition switch. Does the connector look ok? Anything burned or melted?

Nothing looks burned or melted that I can see

Sarahclaar79
I do not have access to code reader.I am on my own here.

Sarahclaar79
Without being able to do some testing, I don't know what to tell you?