MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR

1999 Pontiac Bonneville • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 110,000 miles

How can I determine if my MAF is bad? The car is a 99 pontiac bonneville engine is 3.8 no super charger. The car has been stalling occasionally and is doing it more often. The problem seems to happen after the car gets warmed to operating temp. But sometimes it idles rough as soon as it's started. The check engine light has come on and I took it to my local parts store to have it checked. The code read low imput to MAF. I have cleaned the sensor and the connectors. It seems to me that the sonsor may be going bad but has not completly gone bad. Any info would be helpful considering the sensor cost $168.00 and it would be a shame for my father to buy it and it end up not being the problem.
Danger1

Very often tapping on it will make the engine stall. If yours doesn't stall from tapping, check for corrosion on the electrical connector pins, and be sure there are no breaks in the fresh air tube where unmetered air can sneak in.

I have did the tapping trick and it did not stall. I have also checked and cleaned the connectors. I have also checked for breaks in the air tube and have found none. Thanks for your response and I plan on making a donation as soon as I have the funds. I am glad that I found this site and plan on using it frequently. Because I have been given the honor of being the family mechinac. Thanks again Jay

Danger1
Sorry I don't have a better test. You might consider finding a sensor at a salvage yard. If you're anywhere between Indianapolis and southern Georgia or Alabama, there is a chain of very clean yards called Pull-A-Part. Parts are very inexpensive there. You pay a buck, then throw your tools into one of their wheel barrows if you need it. There are similar yards all over the country, but Pull-A-Part has the best prices.