WHERE IS THE BCM LOCATED IN MY PONTIC AND WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE

1999 Pontiac Bonneville • 160,000 miles

Car wont turn over security light is flashing, been this way for a week as I have searched and searched for solutions on fixing this problem but nop one can tell me where it is or what it looks like
Jerr_

Behind right side of dash, near rear of glove box.

Not sure why you are even looking for the BCM since it plays no part in the VTD system on this car.

Wrenchtech
OMG, your kidding, it has nothing to do with the security system? I was told if I bypass the purple/wht wire # B7 and the wht/blk #B8 and put a risistor in between these two wires it would satisfy the security system and the car would start. So your telling me for a week I have done things that was not neccesary? Please tell me where to go to fix this problem I am tired of walking 9 miles each way to work I start at 10 pm get off between 7 and 8 am I cannot do this any more.

Jerr_
The 2 wires that you are looking for are right at the ignition switch. You can access them by removing the cover around the column. You can't use just any resister. You have to measure the pellet in the key and duplicate it. Just remember that the only thing that you are bypassing is the key sensor and the rest of the system has to remain operational or it still won't start. This is only going to work if the key sensor is the problem in the first place.

Wrenchtech
My key has a resistance of.681 ohms, do you know what it should be?

Jerr_
Yes, that is one of 15 possible resistance values they use. They are different so keys don't interchange. You can go a maximum of 30ohms plus or minus.

Wrenchtech
Omg, I am going to crumble if this isnt the prob, I don't understand why the security would be on if the key is ok. This makes no sense to me.

Jerr_
There are other components to that system and any of them can have or cause a problem. The key sensor is the most common though.

Wrenchtech
Thankyou Wrenchtech, I just got back from RadioShack, bought a set of 10, 15 and 22 ohm resistors, hopefull this will do it I will find out tomorrow or Sunday, first thing is to put back the two circuit boards I took out then reinstall all the wiring harnesses. Uhgg, I went to a site where everyone that had this problem got answers and seemed to fix their prob, but I should have realized someting wasn't right when I was told about the set of ribbons that come out of the stering columb was wrong, then told me to go directly to the bcm module and cut the wires their. Well I think I have someone I can rely on now, thank you. Jerr_

Jerr_
You need a single resister of 681ohms. What does 10, 15 or 22 have to do with anything?

Wrenchtech