ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS/SERPENTINE BELT ISSUES

1999 Plymouth Voyager • 4 cylinder • 200 miles

I have a 99 Plymouth voyager and recently I had my egr or erg valve cleaned bc it was clogged and I also had my idle valve replaced. I went to auto zone and had the diagnostic test and it said that my O2 HTR sensor was INC but the the O2 sensor MON was ok and EGR or ERG was OK. Shortly after that( hour or two) my battery light came on it was on for two days then the van died. I tried to start it and it made some fast clicking sounds. I just got the battery in January and replaced the pos battery cable in January. I got a jump and the van started but after a few minutesof driving (between 2 and 5) the gas gauge and speedometer and dash lights started to jump and then went to 0 and stayed there and the van cut off. I got another jump and after a few minutes( between 2 and 5) of driving it did the same thing again. I had to get it towed off the high way. I was told b4 this started happening while they were doing my egr valve that I need a new serpentine belt bc mine was squeaking. Could that be the reason why all that electrical stuff happened to the van and how do you replace the serpentine belt on a 99 Plymouth voyager.
Rikantrin

Have the charging system checked. Any applicable trouble codes?

The belt routing diagram is below. Depending on which belt you want to remove? Loosen the power steering pump and or alternator from its bracket.

Thank you. Also no codes came up when they did the test just the O2 sensor thing. They said it could be a valve hose leak making the O2 sensor go off but when we did the test( spray the soapy water on the hoses to see if any bubble up to find the leak ) therwe was none. Do I still need to replace the serpentine belt

Rikantrin
Also how do you replace it

Rikantrin
I wouldn't remove a belt without checking the charging system. Engine running, the alternator should carry the load.

Click on the belt diagram, is that what you have? That is what my database shows. Do you have a basic set of wrenches and sockets?

Yes I have the basic set and a few more. Ok I dont know how to check the charging system. Is that somethng that can be done at auto zone or do I have to take it to the shop. Im trying not to have to take it to the shop. If it is the charging system what do I do. Im sorry im a lil new to this but I do know a lil. Thank you for all of your help bc I need it

Rikantrin
If you have a digital multimeter, you can check the charging system yourself. With everything off, take reading across battery posts. What is the reading? Start the vehicle, take second reading across battery posts, the second reading should be higher than the first, if charging system is working. Check alternator and battery connections, clean and tight. Yes, Autozone should be able to test charging system.

For the power steering belt, you just loosen the bolt/nuts for the power steering pump. Then move the pump body to get slack in the belt.

Ok. Thank you I will I hope it will help me

Rikantrin
Let us know.

Hello. Im waiting for them to look at the van but I was told it could be a alternator relay. Does my voyager have an altenator relay and if it does could this be a cause of the issues.

Rikantrin
Page 1 of 2