TIMING BELT INSTALLATION

1999 Plymouth Breeze • 205,000 miles

1999 Plymouth Breeze Expresso 2.4L Automatic

My friend was helping me out by changing out my water pump and got in a little over his head. Here is where I am at. The water pump is installed but we are stuck at the timing of the camshaft sprockets. I have the service repair manual, and according to the pictures the two cam sprockets are off by about one tooth. So I need to take the timing belt off again and re-align the crankshaft and then reposition the cams. Seems straight forward but the manual mentions something about not moving the cams while the belt is off or damage may accure to the valves. If this is so, then how do I reposition the cam sprockets? Also, if you have any helpful tips, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!
Bocrunch

You are not supposed to move the camshaft but they can get out of alignment. What you need to do is to turn the camshaft to the desired direction and install the belt. Just don't force and turn excessively.

If both camshafts are off by exactly 1 tooth, turn the crankshaft back by one tooth and you should be good to go.

Interference engine means if you turn the crankshaft or camshaft too much you can damage the valve but a little turning is ok as there is sufficient clearance.