WON'T TURN OVER

1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 150,000 miles

I have a 98 olds cutlass that never had a problem starting. One day I started it up and went to the store, came out and turn the key and. Nothing, just a click. Battery is OK, I checked the codes and got a map/baro problem, and a camshaft sensor problem. I had changed the MAP about a month ago but I don't know what baro means but I thought I should get something even w/ a bad map. I changed the camshaft sensor which turned out to be a real pain in the neck. It was located behind and under the power steering reservoir, so I loosened the belt and power steering unit and replaced cam sens. Went to start and not even a click this time. Now I'm wondering if I screwed something up. I had a hard time tightening sensor because of location. Could I have not tightened enough, shorted something, What's next
Phillyfan610

So the starter wont spin the engine over?How do you know the battery is bad did you have it tested?Also make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. Do you have a multimeter?

I assumed the battery is good. I have headlights, radio etc. All connections are tight, and I just brought it last winter. I have a multimeter but how can I check any spark if it won't kick over, I get nothing at all, no movement whatsoever just the normal lights that come on when in the on position, I just checked all the fuses today and they are all good

Phillyfan610
We never assume batteries are good we have them tested also you need to make sure the battery cables are clean and tight.I was asking about the multimeter because the starter is working to turn the engine over so we could trace power to see why it wouldnt. If we assume the battery is good and assume the battery cables are clean and tight and just dont bother to test all that. Then we see if we have power to the purple wire at the starter with the key in the start position. If we do we could have a bad starter bad battery or loose or corroded battery cables. If we had the battery tested and made sure the battery cables were clean and tight we would know we had a bad starter. See where iam going with this?

OK I will do as you say, since I am only an amateur, best bet is to listen. Thanks

Phillyfan610
Your welcome keep me posted on what you find before you replace anything.

I checked the battery with the volt meter and got a reading of 25v, I then tried to get a reading on the solenoid but I kept slipping (my hands are very large)and could not get an accurate reading, although the meter was moving. While I was trying to clean grease off the solenoid my screw driver slipped and I got a spark from where the pos terminal meets the solenoid. I can definetly hear a click from the starter when key is turned to start position.

Phillyfan610
There is no way the battery voltage is reading 25 volts unless you have two of them wired together. So you think you have power to the purple wire and you can hear the starter solenoid clicking. Make sure the engine turns over with a wrench or a socket freely. If it does then looks like a bad starter also disconnect the negative battery cable and make sure the postive battery cable is tight to the starter as well as that purple wire to the starter.

I have already turned the engine w/ a wrench, I think it may be a starter. I will try the battery cable thing. Thank you for your help

Phillyfan610
Your welcome thats what were here for keep me posted on what you find.

I finally got a chance to replace the starter, there is much rain here, anyway, I replaced and it kicked right over, I took it for a ride and when I parked a puddle of transmission fluid was leaking right under what looks like the passenger side front tire, I mean it is pouring out, I don't know if it is the cooler or a hose. I need to check it when there is more daylight. I would hate to junk it as it is a good second car to have and I just put about 200$ into it

Phillyfan610