3.4 OVERHEATS A LITTLE BIT OVER 190

1999 Oldsmobile Alero • 160,000 miles

When I started my car today to let it warm up(im from wisconsin) it had heat when I went to town, but on the way back it started to overheat a little bit over 190 and antifreeze was coming from the overflow line and I lost heat. It has been doin this for a little while now. I have not replaced the thermostat yet because I didnt know if there was an airlock somewhere and its a pain in the u know what to take the stat out. Also the coolant light comes on sometimes too, can u help me figure out whats wrong or an easier way to take the stat out?
Packerfan2012

190 degrees isnt overheating and it shouldnt be boiling over at that temp unless your gauge is wrong and its really hotter. Have you checked the cap yet?

It gets close to getting in the red on the gauge but it never goes in the red, it wont completly overheat but some antifreeze does come out of the overflow and we tested the cap at autozone and they said the cap was fine

Packerfan2012
So where did we get the 190 temp it overheats?Because that isnt overheating and should be close the red and shouldnt boil over at that temp.

It used to run at 180 190 all the time. I didnt mean that it overheated at 190

Packerfan2012
So are both the upper and lower radiator hoses getting really hot?When are the cooling fans coming on?

No the hoses seem to be normal and the cooling fans come on at about half way of the temp gauge

Packerfan2012
I was asking about the hoses because if both hoses are getting really hot we know the thermostat is working. We need to know what the actual temp the fan is coming on?Do you have a infared temp gun to make some measurements.

Ok I went and re-checked the radiator hoses and the upper hose gets really hot to where I cant hold my hand on it and the lower hose is just warm. And no I dont have a temp gun

Packerfan2012
Sounds like you need to start by replacing the thermostat.

Alright sounds good. Thanks for the help

Packerfan2012