MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE CLUTCH PROBLEM

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse • 182,000 miles

I have a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2.0 non-turbo. At times it will not start. Turn the key and only clicks. Was told the battery was no good so replaced it. Starts occasionally but not all the time. Starter checked out ok. I am thinking it might be the switch on the clutch as when it does not start if I play with the clutch a few minutes more than a few at times it will start. Odd looking switch not sure how it works. Thinking it was going to be a normal type switch but was surprised it was a metal cannister type. Could you explain how this works and if it could be causing the problem I am experiencing? Seems to be an easy fix as it appears I can remove the clip on the clutch and it shpuld slid off. Is that the case?

Open with the pedal up and closed with it down

i would look again at the starter motor. I bet it has a dead spot in the armature.

You don't think the clutch switch could cause this? Just strange it starts after playing with the clutch by pushing it in and out.

Kbeucke
I hear you. To be sure, use a test light on the switch. 12 volts to one side, and 12 to the other with the pedal pushed down. Do this when it wont start to confirm

When problem occurs, try bypassing the switch with a jumper wire to test.

Btw if you can hear a click when turning to crank, it most probably is not the clutch pedal switch. If it is bad, the starter relay would not click.
Either it is the starter itself or the starter relay could be failing.

Turns out it is the clutch switch. Could I just remove the switch and still be able to start it? If I remove it do I have to be sure the switch is in the in position?

Kbeucke
Is this the switch. Does not look like any I have seen.

Kbeucke
That is the master cylinder. The switch is just off the picture, I can just make out the stopper. The switch should be off the bracket, left of picture.