SABLE WAGON STARTING PROBLEM

1999 Mercury Station Wagon • 70,000 miles

1999 sable wagon 24V DOHC 70000km Engine cranks for 30 seconds or so before it will start and then runs rough for 10 seconds. After that it is fine. Runs great, idles. Accelerates. No issues. Will restart fine. After sitting an hour or more hard to start again. Have changed fuel fitler, air filter, ran hi-octane fuel, tried injector cleaner. No change. Could this be a fuel pump problem? Could plugs and/or wires be getting tired? Seems worse first thing in the morning. Any suggestions?THX doug
Doug14

I recommend that you check fuel pump pressure. It sounds like you have a weak pump or the pressure bleeds off.

Thanks I did check pressure before and after filter change. No difference. Is there a check valve that is accessible or is it in the tank with the pump?

Doug14
There is one on the fuel pump in the tank.

Rats! I really didn't want to drop the tank. Can I leave a fuel pressure guage on the car running and then turn ignition off and wait a while to see if pressure drops off significantly?

Doug14
Yes, that is what you need to do. It is called fuel pressure drop off. When you shut the key, it should maintain pressure for a while. If you go to our homepage under the DIY section, there is a video and detailed directions for checking pressure and drop off. Check it out. It should be helpful.