HOW TO REPAIR SHIFTER STUCK IN PARK?

1999 Mercedes Benz ML320 • 113,845 miles

I have a Mercedes Benz ML320 which has the shifter stuck in Park all the time. I replaced the brake switch and did not correct the problem.
I have disassembled the center console to get to the shifter. I was able to unbold the shifter and pull on the cables and get the shifter to move. However the shifter will not come out of park when car engine is on, or key is on and brake depressed. I understand that the brake has to be engaged to shift out of park (reason I changed the brake switch).
What other things should I check? What keeps the shifter from unlocking?
Juanluismendoza

You need to check the shift interlock in center console, right side to see if it gets power or works with brake on /key on. If not ther eis a fuse #22 in eng compartment that is for that. It may be the module is bad which is in center of dash. There is also a ground on the a pillar that is a brown wire that cold be loose or dirty.