BRAKE LIGHTS DO NOT WORK

1999 Lexus RX 300

The bulbs are new, the fuse is ok; what it could be?
Marta.meaux

Possibly a bad brake light switch. Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?Or you could have a bad ground?

Just a quick question, Is the high mount, 3rd brake light working? That would make a difference.

Wrenchtech
@saturntech9: How can I do testing of the brake switch?
@Wrenchtech : the 3rd light is not working, a few months ago the shift lever stuck in "Parking" even though I was pushing down on the brake pedal. Now I have to press the shift lock override switch to shift out of ""Parking". However the brake lights not turning on started only a few days ago.

Marta.meaux
Those are both strong indications of a brake light switch problem so follow Saturntech9's advice.

Wrenchtech
Alright under the dash just bellow the brake pedal you will find the brake switch. The green wire with a black stripe should have power to it. Then when stepping on the brake the green wire with a white stripe should have power.

Does the green and white striped wire has power?

When stepping on the brake that wire will have power.