JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE FUEL PUMP PROBLEM

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 200,000 miles

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 Fuel Pump Problem

My 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 4.0L V6 stalled when running ~45 mph recently and would not restart immediately. After 3-4 minutes, it restarted and drove for ~30-seconds then stalled and would not restart.

Was told the behavior indicated fuel filter needed replaced.

Prior to replacing, had someone turn ignition switch off and on three or four times as I listened from under tank. Each time I could hear fuel pump hum for a few seconds then stop.

After replacing fuel filter, I turned ignition switch on and off to activate fuel pump and flow fuel to the new filter. But now the fuel pump is not working--no fuel is flowing through the hose, and the humming sound can no longer be heard from underneath the fuel tank when switching the ignition on and off.

Any ideas why the fuel pump is not working now? Seems more than a coincidence that it failed when the fuel filter was replaced.
Kmmaann

It may have been failing when you got your first problem. Check your fuel pressure. Pressure shold be 44.2 -54.5 and.5L in 7 seconds. Try hitting bottom of tank with a large ruber hammer or palm of your hand. Soemtimes they restart like this, but get ti changed cause it will fail again soon.