IT ONLY OVERHEATS WHEN I COME TO A STOP

1999 Honda Prelude • 150,000 miles

99 Honda prelude overheating: if I remove Prelude Thermostat would that fix my problem? I would replace it down the road. $$. When I step on the gas it starts "cooling down"
FONY67

So if your driving it doesnt overheat only when you come to a stop?If so sounds like your radiator fan isnt working or turning on when it should.

For fuel injected vehicles the thermostat is a very important component that should never be removed. If you have an overheating issue, removing the thermostat is not going to solve the problem, most it can do is delay the overheating.

Saturntech9 is correct about the cooling fans not working, or you could have very low coolant in cooling system.

Would you suggest a quick fix by making a shortcut to be fan by hooking it up directly to the battery and making an on/off switch to the dash?

FONY67
No that's a good way to cause a electrical fire the switch can't handle the load of the motor without a relay trigger point. Also is the car only overheating when your not moving?If so is the radiator fan on when its overheating?

Also if the fan motor is bad it wont change anything.

I want to thank everyone for helping. How should I start to fix the problem? Thanks in advance.

FONY67
Start by testing the fan motor to see if they works.

They do both turn on.

FONY67
Only when A/C is turned on or even when overheating occurs?

Also start by answering questions when we ask them to you.