DETAILS ON TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT

1999 Honda Odyssey • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 120 miles

Hello there 2CarPros, Can you guys please help me on detailed instructions on replacing the timing belt? This will be my first time and I am pretty confident I will be able to change it. What are the recommend items to change on this type of van?
Also, any procedures to make the job easier?

Thanks VERY MUCH, any and all help appreciated. And Happy New Years!
Molsoncanadian

Just one more question,
What do people mean when they say "Make sure the belt don't jump a tooth"?

Molsoncanadian
IN OTHER WORDS--WHEN THE BELT IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY, ALIGNMENT MARKS ARE LINED UP IN CERTAIN MANNER. IF THEY WERE NOT LINED UP CORRECTLY THE VALVES ARE NOT GONNA OPEN AND CLOSE AT THE RIGHT TIMES.

WORST THING IS, IF THIS IS A "INTERFERENCE ENGINE" IF THE VALVES ARE NOT "IN SYNC" WITH THE PISTONS GOING UP AND DOWN, THEY HIT EACH OTHER AND MAJOR DAMAGE OCCURS.

THIS MIGHT HAPPEN BECAUSE THE BELT IS_____INSTALLED WRONG_______BROKE (POSSIBLE BECAUSE IT WAS NOT CHANGED AT RECOMMENDED MILEAGE_______THE BELT (STRETCHED OLD BELT OR ENGINE WEAR) SORTA CLIMBS OVER THE COGS, ONE OR MORE.

THIS LAST SITUATION (ABOVE) PUTS IT OUT OF TIME TOO. THIS IS CALLED JUMPING A TOOTH, OR JUMPING TIMING.

THIS SAME SITUATION CAN HAPPEN WITH VEHICLES WITH A "TIMING CHAIN" IF THE CHAIN IS REAL WORN OR STRETCHED, IT WILL START CLIMBING THE COGS.

EVER HAD A REALLY RUSTY BICYCLE CHAIN, ON A BIKE? AS YOU PEDAL, THE CHAIN'S LINKS DON'T FLEX/ BEND AT THE PIVOT POINTS. USUALLY THE CHAIN STARTS SORTA JUMPING OVER THE TEETH/ GEAR/ COGS. THAT IS THE MEANING OF "JUMPING A TOOTH/ TEETH"

DECENT EXPLANATION?

Maaaaaan, Honestly, man thank you soo much. You helped me save 600 bucks, I really appreciate it. Now I'm gonna get inside the Odyssey's Hell chamber for sure thanks to your explanations. Now I know what to be aware of, etc. All the help a man would need.

Once Again, Thanks buddy, I am looking forward to replacing that old belt.

-Molson

Molsoncanadian
I HOPE I DID HELP AS MUCH AS YOU CLAIM

PRESENTLY SORTA LEARNING HOW TO OPERATE MY CANON EOS T3 CAMERA MY WIFE GOT ME FOR CHRISTMAS.I'M LAZY, I LIKE STUFF EXPLAINED TO ME TOO!

Here's one thing to watch out for when removing the old belt and installing the new one: Before removing the old belt, mark it where the marks on the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets are before releasing the tensioner, then remove old belt, copy marks from old belt to new belt (there may be marks on the new belt, just make sure they line up with yours), install new belt with marks lined up with corresponding marks on sprockets (sprocket marks may not be lined up with marks on engine yet). Then when you release the tensioner the marks on the sprockets should line up with the marks on the engine.

GLP