ALTERNATOR

1999 Honda Odyssey • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 195,000 miles

My alternator on my 1999 Honda Odyssey, 3.5L, LX, has conked out. I did purchase a new battery 2 weeks ago and things were working fine. Then a "Hum" started from the alternator everytime I put a load on the system (heater, lights, etc.)

So my question is this: what are the steps for changing the alternator on this van?

How long should this take if I was to bring it to my mechanic? He tells me it's a BIG job 3 to 4 hours of labor charges + $20 in shop charges.

Thanks for your assistance
d-rossco
D-rossco

Labor is only 1.5hrs so someone is trying to charge you too much sounds like. Here is the instructions on how to change it.

Alternator Replacement

Make sure you have the anti-theft code for the radio and the navigation system, then write down the frequencies for the radio's preset buttons
Disconnect the negative cable from the battery first, then disconnect the positive cable.
Remove the alternator-compressor belt.

Disconnect the alternator 4P connector (A) and BLK wire (B) from the alternator

Remove the mounting bolt (A) and alternator bracket mounting bolt (B), then remove the harness clamp (C) from the alternator bracket.
Install in the reverse order of removal.
Enter the anti-theft code for the radio and the navigation system, then enter the customer's radio station presets. Reset the clock.
Perform the powertrain control module (PCM) idle learn procedure, and the power window control unit reset procedure ('03 model).
Set the clock.

Any chance that you have a picture to attach? It would help me a lot.
Thanks for your information.
Very helpful

D-rossco
Here you go.

You will need to remove the cooling fan in order to replace the alternator, or you can remove the side engine mount and jack up the engine alittle bit to remove the alternator without removing the cooling fan.

This job was quite easy. Moving the power steering and antifreeze containers was no problem. Didn't have to disconnect them. I did have to remove the alternator mounting bracket to get the darn thing out. And it took a little twisting and turning to squeeze the alternator out of it's hideout.
Hints I discovered. 1. Once the alternator is free of it's bolts. Then disconnect the 4P connector and plug it back in before reinstalling. No room to get your hands in there let alone see what you are doing when it's bolted in. 2. If you remove the mounting bracket, reinstall with it loosely connected to the alternator. If you install it first then you have to have it EXACTLY in the right position for the bolts to line up. 3. Use the 2 wrench leverage system on the belt tensioner. Much easier.
(Didn't have to remove cooling fan or engine mounts.)
45 minutes to remove - 1.5 hrs to put back together.
Thanks for the help!

D-rossco
Your welcome glad to hear you got it all replaced and up and running again.

The mounting bolt of my alternator has broken.
How can you take the piece out of the engine.
The space is to little to use any drill.
How can you assist me?

Odyssey2000
So did the bolt break flush?If so you will have to center punch the bolt and drill the bolt the proper size for a easy out. You will have to get a angle drill a 90 degree one to get in there to drill it.