FUEL GUAGE SEEMS STUCK AT HALF FULL

1999 Honda CRV • 10,200 miles

It stays at half even with engine turned off
J.A.P.

Remove the connector at the tank sender unit which should be under the back seat at a cover?
It should pin one way either full or empty. If it does, the sender is at fault, if it does not change, the the dash unit is most likely bad.

The gauge needle would stay at where it is when ignition is turned off.

Thanks for your prompt replies. I think I best take it to my mechanic if it is the sender unit.

The needle stays where it is KHlow2008, But doesn't seem to move at all

J.A.P.
It would move only when ignition is on and the sending unit senses a difference in the fuel level. However if the needle does not move when you have topped up the fuel or the level has dropped, then it could be a fault with the sending unit or gauge.

Please excuse my technicality as I'm not a mechanic nor have much experience but I have someone shown me this today so I thought I would like to share with everyone.
So I did what AseMaster recommended by unplug the pink plug( see pics) and turned on the ignition. Sure enough the gas gauge went all the way down to empty. Next I remove the 2 plugs and the 2 fuel hoses(under the driver side rear seat) and remove the whole assembly. From the attached picture you will see the floater is actually connected to a metal rod which also connects with the metal sensor. Make sure the 2 metals are making contact or simply use fine sand paper to create a contact surface for both. After that, put everything back to its original place and plug everything back. Turn ignition on and you will get your meter back to normal. Good luck.

Athenak012002
What happens to the gauge needle when you turn the igntion off after the repair job?

I added some more fuel and the needle went up. It went back to normal like it supposed to be.

Athenak012002
When ignition is turned off, does the needle drop to E or stayed where it was?

The needle only dropped off when you unplug the sender unit otherwise it stayed the same constant position.

Athenak012002
Ok, thank you.