AIR CONDITION

1999 Honda CRV • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic •

I have a 1999 crv the a/c clutch went out but was still cooling. I replaced the clutch and the pressure on the low side was 90 so I replaced the compressor and I put in 1.5 lbs if r134a now the low side has a vacume. The low side lines are clear to the firewall. The high side lines through the condensor not as much air goes through. Could it be expansion valve or condensor needs flushed better?
Dennisgwagner

You're a little light on the refrigerant. The capacity is 26.5 ounces. It still shouldn't be pulling into a vacuum though. That would indicate a restriction, most likely the expansion valve. I don't see how it was cooling with a bad clutch though. It can't cool without an operating compressor.

Wrenchtech
Also not that most of the single cans of refrigerant that you buy are not a full pound so read the label.

Wrenchtech
What are the low and high side pressure readings?

It doesn't much matter what the high side reads as long as the low side is pulling into a vacuum. There is no refrigerant traveling to be able to build high side pressure so the reading won't tell you much at all. I live and work in south Florida and have worked at shops that do exclusively A/C repair so I'm quite familiar with A/C repairs.

Wrenchtech
One more test that you want to try is locate the liquid line that runs from the condenser to the evaporator. Find an open metal spot near the middle and feel the temp of it before starting the system, then have someone turn the system on. You should feel it go from room temp to warm and remain that way. If if never goes warm or goes warm and then back to room temp, that confirms a blockage.

Wrenchtech