OIL PAN RATTLE

1999 Ford Windstar • 6 cylinder Automatic • 112,420 miles

Rattle inside oil pan 99 windstar 3.8, not rapping noise but like a loose heatshield would sound like
Kvn4

More to the front of the engine? Timing chain noise? See if you can get a stethoscope, a mechanic's one has a long metal probe and when placed on the engine you can pick up internal sounds clearer, and listen to the front of the engine.

Mhpautos
Ear to oil pan at oil plug area. Just out of curiousity I checked oil day before and was good then next day checked with engine running, my question is should the oil be less or more on dipstick.

Kvn4
You cant check the oil with the engine running as there is to much circulation to get a true reading.

Mhpautos
Checking the oil with it running question is that if oil pump was working properly would the oil get lower on the d-stick. That s just how my thinking is trying to figure out. Dont have air tools to remove cat converter and starter to remove oil pan. Thanks k

Kvn4
The oil will drain back fairly quickly, oil pump flows are fairly good, and draining is equal to the task so you do not get dry sump problems there is enough oil in the system even if it is low on the dip stick to meet all requirements, high volume pumps in performance engines can have this problem but not the average engine, if you have the gear drop the sump and take a look, let me know what you find.

Mhpautos
When I checked oil on d-stick it was high up on it (when running). Dont have much gear left as tools were stolen about a month back

Kvn4
(DIFFERENT GUY)

WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING, THE OIL IS SPLASHING AROUND SO MUCH, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO READ THE STICK!

I WAS AT A SHOP AWHILE BACK WITH A FRIEND, WHILE HE DROPPED HIS TRUCK OFF TO HAVE THE A/C CHECKED. ANOTHER MAN HAD A WINDSTAR THERE. HIS COMPLAINT WAS, IT CRANKED UP AND RAN FINE, THEN IT RATTLED SOON AFTER. OIL PRESSURE WAS TESTED, ALL WAS GOOD, UNTIL THE RATTLE STARTED. THEN THE PRESSURE DROPPED.

WHEN MY FRIEND AND I RETURNED LATER TO PICK HIS TRUCK UP, THEY WERE STILL CHECKING THE WINDSTAR OUT. ALTHOUGH, I WAS NOT THERE WATCHING THE WHOLE TIME, WE SAW THAT WHEN THE OIL CAP WAS REMOVED, THE TOP END WAS FILLED, AND WAS SOON, FULL OF OIL. THE OIL DRAIN HOLES, MUST HAVE BEEN STOPPED UP, OIL WAS NOT RETURNING TO THE PAN FAST ENOUGH TO REPLENISH THE OIL PUMP.

THAT WAS ABOUT THE EXTENT OF WHAT I WITNESSED, THEY WERE DISCUSSING, PUTTING IN A FLUSH, TO "BREAK DOWN" THE STOPPAGES, OR DOING "SURGERY", WHEN WE LEFT.

JUST ADDING A POSSIBILITY

SORTA GOT DISTRACTED!

WHEN THEY SHUT OFF THE ENGINE, AND CHECKED THE STICK, IT READ LOW, THEN INCREASED, AS IT SAT THERE.