FORD TAURUS SENSOR PROBLEM

1999 Ford Taurus • 168,000 miles

I have a problem with my taurus. It is a 24 direct overhead cam V6 cylinder and the mechanic said the speed sensor on the transmission is froze up to the housing. He has used penetrating oil to try to unfreeze it, tapped it lightly with a ball pine hammer and still it won't come off. He said it is very difficult to get his hand up in there too. Does he need to drop the transmission to get the speed sensor off, because the part being only $30.00 is now going to cost me big money which I don't really have to spend. Any other suggestions to get that off. A ford mechanic also told us if you break that sensor off you are really screwed. Please help me! Cindy

See if he can twist it gently with pliers to break it free, if he can heat up aroun dit that would be good as well. Then more penetrating oil.