TIMING BELT (TIMING OFF AFTER REPLACED)

1999 Ford Ranger • 4 cylinder 2WD Manual • 1,994 miles

Hello! (Thanks very much, in advance)!

Please note: *We're both disabled and really hurting money-wise or we would be happy to make a donation to help keep this website helping people help themselves fix or maintain their main sources of transportation. We're very, very sorry we can't give but have already spent $100 on parts that we couldn't really afford.* : O(

I have a 1999 Ford Ranger Pickup - 5 spd. Standard, with a 2.5L - 4 cyl. Engine. I just had to replace the timing belt & tensioner spring after they both snapped on me on the highway. Then the engine went 'free-wheeling' (spinning but no power). (There was NO evil engine noise like valves going on me - it just died on me after the belt & tensioner spring both snapped). I've tried setting the timing on it twice now and it still won't start. The first time I had to go by timing marks shown on a chart I viewed on the Web. I'm an experienced mechanic, tech school (no certifications, though) but have worked on everything from Gravely lawn tractors, to VWs, Mercedes, old Chevys on up to heavy machinery but this job has me extremely baffled. Charged up the battery, of course. Fixing mechanical things seems to come naturally to me, but I can hear the timing just isn't right and there seems to be no compression. I know I must have overlooked something I should have done or another problem? I tried turning the crank 180 degrees the 2nd time. Maybe, I just have to keep re-setting the timing again & again until all four pistons line up? I need this truck in the worst way or me & my girl just can't make ends meet without it. We're already having a terrible time - her car's down, too. (One thing at a time, but I may need help with her timing belt, too. Hers is a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer - belt let go at idle. Thank God! It could've wracked her valve train, otherwise). Please help me.

Thank so much for your time!

Mike S.
Uncasville
DozerMike

The inner cover has a triangle for cam and a diamond for the oil pump
And there is a diamond and a triangle stamped into both gears (cam and oil pump) make sure you are using the triangle for the cam and the diamond on the oil pump. Otherwise you have no compression

BMRFIXIT
Make sure you have the timing marks aligned corectly

Wrenchtech