99 - ENGINE SHAKES WHEN IDLEING, SPARK PLUG KEEPS FOULING OUT.

1999 Ford Ranger • 179,000 miles

I've had this problem for quite awhile now. Just randomly one day it started shaking. 1999 Ford Ranger 3.0L V6 2WD Flex Fuel
-Engine shakes when idleing or maintaining a speed
-Replaced spark plugs, coil pack, wires, and EGR Sensor
-I can hear bubbling sounds from the coolant tank after I turn off my truck
-Not sure which cylinder it is, but the back left plug fouls out everytime I replace it. I've replaced and checked the wires and it always fouls out.
I'm not very mechanically inclined and do not have the money to just keep throwing into it.
Trobr

You said you can hear bubbling when you shut it off. So I would recomend going to a shop and doing a chemical test. What this will do is determine if there is any head or head gasket problems. Also you said the plugs keep fouling how are they fouling?

Racefan966
Well only the one plug fouls out. I put it in and the truck seems to run alright for just alittle bit, and then I can feel and hear when it fouls out and it starts running bad again. I was told that possibly fluid is getting into the cylinder and causing it to foul, so I put a non-fouler on that plug and it still shorted. I'll do that chemical test as soon as possible, although the bubbling sound just started today. I popped the hood after driving it, and there was coolant bubbling and overflowing out of the container.

Trobr
With that do the chemical test just to be sure that the head it good before going any further ok. Let me know what it turns up and we will go from there.

Racefan966
I took it to a place and they said that I had a cracked head. Since then I refurbished the heads and put them on along with new gaskets all the way around. I have also replaced the spark plugs. I have to crank the engine with my foot on the gas to get it to start, and it will die as soon as it idles. The bubbling is gone not, but it is still running like crap. What ideas might you have?

Trobr
Make sure all the vacuum lines are properly connected. Use a can of carb cleaner to check for vacuum leaks. Rent a compression gauge and check cylinder compression. Check the throttle linkage, make sure it's properly attached and adjusted. Make sure the firing order is correct.

I would highly recommend the $20 investment in a Haynes or Chiltons manual for the truck.

Rivermikerat