HUMMING OR WHINING NOISE AS I ACCELERATE

1999 Ford F-150 • V8 2WD Automatic • 89,000 miles

1999 Ford F-150 mileage: 89,000. My question is due to a humming or whining noise as I accelerate. Once I get to about 40 mph, I begin to hear what sounds like a loud humming from my tires. It almost sounds like the noise as if I had big tires on the truck. The tires are of normal size. As I decelerate, the noise winds down. Will the pilot bearing or throw out bearing cause this? I checked the wheel bearings, and they are fine. Also, when I push in the clutch, the noise seems to disappear. I realize without driving the vehicle it is hard to make an assumption. Any advice would be helpful.

2CarPros-Archives

We would try to isolate the problem by driving the car at the speed at which the noise is the loudest and then put the transmission in neutral and shut off the engine. If the noise is still there, it is probably in the drive train or possible in the transmission. If the noise is gone, then it may be the clutch or the engine.

2CarPros-Archives